- What is CMC Markets?
- CMC Markets Pros and Cons
- Is CMC Markets Safe or a Scam?
- Account Types
- Trading Instruments
- Deposits and Withdrawals
- Trading Platform
- Customer Support
Our Review Method
- 55Brokers Financial Experts with over 10 years of experience in Forex Trading check all trading offerings, fees, and platforms, verified regulations, contacted customer service, and placed traders to see trading conditions and give expert opinions about CMC Markets.
What is CMC Markets?
CMC Markets is a global CFD and Forex broker offering traders more than 12,000 trading instruments including Forex pairs, Indices, Cryptocurrencies, Commodities, and more.
- English broker CMC Markets have a serious “Life experience” since the company began its activity as far as in 1989 and nowadays is one of the biggest market-maker brokers in the forex market.
Since its launch in the UK, CMC Markets has broadened its presence and established offices internationally in Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Singapore, Spain, and Sweden, which made the broker one of the world-leading online CFD providers.
CMC Markets Pros and Cons
Based on our Expert research, CMC markets is among well-regarded Brokers with easy digital account opening, rich platform tools, and great education with research. Also, various options to deposit or withdraw funds.
For the Cons, the trading fees for Stock CFDs are higher, and there is no 24/7 customer support.
|Heavily regulated broker with a strong establishment||Conditions may vary according to regulation and entity|
|Long years of operation
||No 24/7 customer support|
|Globally recognized and awarded broker|
|Wide range of trading platforms and competitive trading conditions|
|Excellent support, education, and research tools|
|Suitable for beginners and professionals|
CMC Markets Review Summary in 10 Points
|🗺️ Regulation||FCA, ASIC, FMA, IIROC, MAS, BaFin|
|🖥 Platforms||CMC Web, CMC Mobile, MT4|
|📉 Instruments||Forex, Cryptocurrencies, Indices, Commodities, Shares, Treasuries Gults, bonds|
|💰 EUR/USD Spread||0.7 pips|
|🎮 Demo Account||Available|
|💳 Minimum deposit||0 GBP|
|💰 Base currencies||Several currencies available|
|📚 Education||Learning materials, courses, Videos|
|☎ Customer Support||24/5|
Overall CMC Markets Ranking
Based on our Expert findings, CMC Markets is considered a good broker with safe and very favorable trading conditions. The broker offers a range of trading services designed for both beginner traders and professionals with low initial deposit amounts. As one of the good advantages, CMC Markets covers almost the globe, so traders from various countries can sign in, also with the lowest spreads.
- CMC Markets Overall Ranking is 8.9 out of 10 based on our testing and compared to over 500 brokers, see Our Ranking below compared to other industry Leading Brokers.
|Advantages||Trading Instruments||Deep Liquidity||Trading Platforms|
CMC Markets Alternative Brokers
We learned that CMC Markets offers a range of trading instruments, good trading conditions, and also low trading spreads and fees. However, there are a number of other brokers that offer similar services. Here are some of the best alternatives to CMC Markets:
- AvaTrade – Good Instruments and CopyTrading
- Pepperstone – Low Spreads and Competitive Trading Conditions
- XM – Wide Range of Trading Opportunities
Based on our findings, CMC Markets has obtained numerous recognitions and awards during the company’s long presence in the industry, including the Best Mobile Trading Platform 2022, Best CFD Provider 2022, No.1 Platform Technology 2022, and more.
Is CMC Markets Safe or Scam?
No, CMC Markets is not a scam. Based on our Expert research, CMC Markets is one of the very well-regulated and established brokers with a long history of operation. It is regulated and licensed by several top-tier financial authorities like ASIC and FCA. Therefore, it is secure and low-risk to trade CFDs with CMC Markets.
Is CMC Markets Legit?
Yes, CMC Markets is heavily regulated and authorized to provide trading services legally.
Being authorized and regulated by the FCA (UK) means that the company complies with client assets regulation, known as CASS which ensures traders’ safety measures.
- Due to international company presence, there are various additional regulations companies surrendered which include ASIC (Check out the ASIC Regulated Blueberry Markets Review), and Canadian IIROC authorization acting as a CMC Markets UK dealer. The other branches are also regulated by the Financial Markets Authority in New Zealand and the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS).
See our conclusion on CMC Markets Reliability:
- Our Ranked CMC Markets Trust Score is 9.2 out of 10 for good reputation and service over the years, also reliable top-tier licenses, and serving regulated entities in each region it operates. The only point is that regulatory standards and protection vary based on the entity.
|CMC Markets Strong Points||CMC Markets Weak Points|
|Regulated broker with good record and history of operation||Regulatory standards and protection vary based on the entity
Regulated by top-tier authorities |
|One of the oldest brokers worldwide|
|Listed in London Stock Exchange, United Kingdom|
|Financial Conduct Aurtority, ASIC, IIROC, MAS license and overseeing|
|Additional licenses worldwide|
|Negative balance protection|
How Are You Protected?
We learned that CMC Markets Stockbroking Limited is a Participant of the ASX Group (Australian Securities Exchange) and SSX (Sydney Stock Exchange) and Chi-X (Chi-X Australia). This means, there is the highest level of obligation and control over the firm on the institutional-grade level.
In simple words, the regulatory status of CMC Markets ensures the traders’ funds security, while every client funds held under property, trust, and insolvency laws while held separately from CMC Markets’ own funds, therefore unavailable to the firm.
Leverage, known as a loan given by the broker to the trader that enables to trade much bigger volume than the initial deposit actually varies from one entity to another.
As leverage significantly increases the potential for higher gains, but in reverse may cause bigger losses the regulatory standards set a particular level that is considered to be safe.
However, the opinions of authorities are different:
- European clients can use a maximum leverage level of 1:30
- Australian clients are now offered with lower leverage 1:30 too
- While New Zealand can enjoy leverage up to 1:500
Besides, we learned that professional traders may access additional expand to leverage once the status is confirmed and that is besides regulatory levers settings, so be sure to verify those conditions too.
We found that there are two types of accounts at CMC Markets including CMC Markets CFD trading and Corporate Account, while you should note that settings ad proposals may slightly range in their offering at various regions due to the regulatory restrictions.
For standard trading, it is a single account feature, where the preferences will be set according to your level and the regulation of the entity. Accounts have almost the same universal features and useful set of tools, yet there are more tailored solutions according to the trading specifications you can select.
|Fast account opening
||Account conditions vary according to regulation|
|Single account feature
|Suitable for new and experienced traders|
|Easy switch between Demo and Live Accounts|
|Various account base currencies|
How to Trade in CMC Markets?
Starting to trade with CMC Markets, you will first need to open an account and deposit funds. The process is simple and can be done entirely online. Once your account has been approved, you can then make a deposit using one of the many methods available. Based on our research we found out that CMC Markets offers user-friendly platforms with all the tools and resources you need to trade successfully.
How to Open CMC Markets Live Account?
Opening an account with CMC Markets is quite easy. You should follow the opening account or start trading and proceed with the guided steps:
- Select and Click on the Open an Account page
- Enter the required personal data (Name, email, phone number, etc.)
- Verify your personal data by upload of documentation (residential proof, ID, etc.)
- Complete the electronic quiz confirming your trading experience
- Once your account is activated and proven, follow with the money deposit.
Based on our findings, CMC Markets offers more than 12,000 trading instruments including 330+ Forex Currency Pairs, 21 Cryptocurrencies, 80+ Indices, 100+ Commodities, and more.
Yet, also be sure to verify instrument range according to regulation and the applicable laws, particularly to you.
- CMC Markets Markets Range Score is 9.2 out of 10 for wide trading instrument selection among Forex, Indices, Cryptos, and more.
CMC Markets Fees
We learned that CMC Markets pricing is good and fees are consistent with quite competitive CFD spreads and commissions, with spreads on major FX pairs starting from 0.7 points, 1 point on key indices like the UK 100 and Germany 30, and 0.3 points on Gold. Margin rates start from 3.3% for Forex, 5% for indices and commodities, and 20% for shares and treasuries. For all fees, we also see inactivity fees, funding fees, and overnight swaps.
- CMC Markets Fees are ranked average with an overall rating of 8.5 out of 10 based on our testing and compared to over 500 other brokers. Fees might be different based on entity offering, see our findings of fees and pricing in the table below, however, CMC Markets overall fees are considered good.
|Fees||CMC Markets Fees||Pepperstone Fees||XM Fees|
|Fee ranking||Low, Average||Low||Average|
We found that CMC Market Spread is truly considered among the broker’s advantages, however, you should bear in mind that there is a minimum spread that is shown in the table below and an average spread across the trading period, since the spread may change under highly volatile conditions.
Additionally, the holding rate used when calculating the applicable holding costs on FX comes from the tom-next rate, which is the difference between the two currencies’ interest rates, with an additional 1% CMC Markets charge added.
- CMC Market Spreads are ranked low with an overall rating of 8.9 out of 10 based on our testing comparison to other brokers. We found Forex spread much lower than the industry average, and spreads for other instruments are very attractive too.
|Asset/ Pair||CMC Markets Spread||Pepperstone Spread||XM Spread|
|EUR USD Spread||0.7 pips||0.77 pips||1.6 pips|
|Crude Oil WTI Spread||2.5 pips||2.3 pips||5 pips|
|BTC USD Spread||0.75%||31.39||60|
Deposits and Withdrawals
Based on our findings, CMC Markets offers its clients a relatively “modest” set of payment methods, which is limited to bank transfers and Visa/ Master Cards. However, narrowed variability of financial instruments is compensated by the quality of the services, as all payments are done within one or two banking days.
- CMC Markets Funding Methods we ranked good with an overall rating of 8.5 out of 10. The minimum deposit is among average in the industry, yet fees are either none or very small also allowing to benefit from various account-based currencies, yet deposit options vary on each entity.
Here are some good and negative points for CMC Markets funding methods found:
|CMC Markets Advantage||CMC Markets Disadvantage|
|Fast digital deposits, including Credit/ Debit Cards and Wire transfer||Limited deposit options|
|No minimum deposit requirement||Methods and fees vary in each entity|
|No internal fees for deposits and withdrawals|
|Multiple Account Base Currencies|
|Withdrawal requests confirmed within 2 business days|
In terms of funding methods, CMC Markets offers numerous payment methods which are a very good plus, yet check according to its regulation whether the method is available or not.
- Credit/Debit Cards
- Bank Wire
CMC Markets Minimum Deposit
The minimum deposit amount at CMC Markets mentions no minimum requirement to start trading, however, the broker recommends depositing at least 200 GBP to cover margins, costs, etc.
CMC Markets minimum deposit vs other brokers
||Most Other Brokers
CMC Markets Withdrawals
The withdrawals are processed quite fast by the CMC Markets, while there is no charge by the company to withdraw funds either for deposit or withdrawal.
Yet, your Bank may impose an additional Banking fee or international bank transfer that should be repaid by the customer.
How Withdraw Money from CMC Markets Step by Step:
- Login to your account
- Select Withdraw Funds’ in the menu tab
- Enter the withdrawn amount
- Choose the withdrawal method
- Complete the electronic request with necessary requirements
- Confirm withdrawal information and Submit
- Check the current status of withdrawal through your Dashboard
We found that CMC Markets has an impressive trading technology advantage with patent-powerful platforms ranked by the highest surveys and analyses. The broker provides its proprietary CMC Markets trading platform with web, desktop, and mobile versions, and MetaTrader 4 with its web and mobile platforms.
- CMC Markets Platform is ranked good with an overall rating of 9 out of 10 compared to over 500 other brokers. We mark it as good being one of the best proposals we saw in the industry, and a great range including MT4 suitable for professional trading. Also, all are provided with good research and excellent tools.
Trading Platform Comparison to Other Brokers:
|Platforms||CMC Markets Platforms||Pepperstone Platforms||XM Platforms|
Web Trading Platform
CMC Markets trading platform features both web or mobile versions for any device iOS or Android, while composed by pioneer trading tools like client sentiment and allows viewing the number of clients and their position value.
As well as various multiple assets and pattern recognition scanners that alert the client of possible trading opportunities.
We learned that you can find a vast of tools and capabilities in the CMC Markets software typically with all features available via its desktop version.
- Access to spread betting, which is tax-free trading for a trader to bet spread on forex, indices, commodities, shares, and treasuries. However, spread betting is only available for UK or Ireland residents.
- Digital 100 trading, offers a way to speculate on financial markets with limited risk and automated execution and ranges of timeframe starting at 5 minutes to full access on an advanced charting package.
- Countdowns is a CMC Markets unique way to trade with limited risks on short-term price market movements with timeframes from 30 seconds with a decision on either price will go up or down.
Mobile app is among well developed and highly ranked in industry as well, beside to good customization there are simple analysis and features also available via your phone.
In addition, important to note extensive risk-management features developed to help secure potential profits and minimize losses. So the traders can be certain that a trading order will close at an exact price with guaranteed stop-loss orders.
We found that beginners or even seasoned ones can truly enjoy CMC Markets technical support and CMC markets trading service that is considered to be one of the most powerful in the industry, as well as practice trading in risk-free Demo Account.
Customer support is available around the clock 24/5 also supporting live chat, phone lines, and email.
- Customer Support in CMC Markets is ranked good with an overall rating of 8.2 out of 10 based on our testing. We got fast and knowledgeable responses, also quite easy to reach during the working days.
See our find and ranking on Customer Service Quality:
|Quick responses||No 24/7 customer support|
|Live chat, international phone lines, and email|
|Professional and regarded customer service
CMC Markets Education
Apart from the strong support, we found that customers count on an opportunity to communicate online with well-known specialists in the field, whom the company invites for webinars. Also, you will find a quite comprehensive learning center defined by the topic you wish to learn or to improve your knowledge, which we found very well organized while doing CMC Markets Review.
- CMC Markets Education ranked with an overall rating of 9.2 out of 10 based on our research. The broker provides very good quality educational materials, and excellent research also cooperates with market-leading providers of data.
CMC Markets Review Conclusion
Concluding the CMC Markets review, we found out that the broker provides great trading conditions due to huge experience in the trading business for about 30 years, focus on a client – always looking at how to improve, value for money – keeping trading costs with the competitive spreads and low margins (low spread brokers).
We learned that CMC Markets’s flexibility in terms of platforms, currency pairs, and a number of provided solutions is another key advantage to its positive side. The broker also offers excellent educational materials suitable for traders of different levels.
Based on Our findings and Financial Expert Opinions CMC Markets is Good for:
- Advanced traders
- Traders who prefer MT4 trading platforms
- Currency and CFD trading
- Variety of trading strategies
- Algorithmic traders
- Good customer support
- Excellent educational materials